

So I've been thinking a lot about how art fits in with the whole identity thing and decided that a huge part of making art and designing is the process. And the creative process starts with the blank piece of paper, sketches and the desk, where it actually happens. So we've got two "views" of the desk so to speak, an actual photograph and a "diagram" indicating everything that was on my desk on a given day (getting back to that "moment in time" idea). Hopefully there's a bit of playfulness tucked into the grid patterns.
Are there things I haven't thought about? Ways to improve this? I might include some influences, mixed in with sketches I've done for this book (so the book is getting a little self-referencial). Any thoughts? Art is such an important part of my life that I'm having a hard time seeing how to explain that visually, ironically.
2 comments:
I like the hand written stuff on the first spread, but something about the spread overall isn't working for me. Too static compared with the rest of your stuff? The word "Process" just seems sort of blobbed on. Maybe you just need to keep going with the idea?
I really like the second graphic of the stuff on your desk. It's a nice abstraction from the photo of it, and I like how clinical and organized it is in some way. Though maybe it would be nice to fit the abstractions to the actual items more closely? Or not. Depends on what you're going for.
Yeah, I'm more happy with the second spread as a coherent concept. The first is maybe two separate ideas, that Process is the starting place of art (with writing down and sketching ideas out) and then the desk idea which then gets continued on the next page. I like turning the page from the image to the graphic but yes, the Process seems to be dropped on...maybe it needs clearer text to explain... I'll keep working on the layout.
Post a Comment