Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Jenny's Cover


I'm working on a book cover for Teachers College Press right now and was hoping to get a little feedback. The book is about a girl who didn't quite fit into the mold of the elementary school system of a diverse, urban school. She had some bumps along the way, hence the slightly creased paper theme. I've gone through a bunch of iterations and this is kind of where I am. I originally was working with the title above her head (or perhaps on top and behind her head...) but it felt like it was pressing down on her. I'm not entirely comfortable with the placement of all the elements, and am still tweaking but thought I'd put it up. I'm not sure people are still checking out blogs but just in case, feedback would be lovely. Thanks.

1 comment:

l. nichols said...

I keep trying to figure out what to say about this. Like... I like the idea, and I love the way you've done the lettering for "Jenny's Story" but there's something about the cover as a whole that feels off. Maybe the way the stuff is in her head? It feels unbalanced. My good friend Irene (who's been living with me for the past month) says "maybe it's the fact that the back of her head has more stuff in it than the front, since the face is usually the focus?" She also says "I don't know if I'd like it if the face was full of stuff, either." So... I don't know. I think maybe just changing the slope of the dominant line might be good... tilting down instead of up, more in the direction of reading the page?

So... yeah. I don't know if that's any help. It totally makes sense conceptually, but I'd still work it more. Irene also says "maybe if you could get the city scene to look farther away?"

I'm totally loving the typography.