Sunday, August 26, 2012

Santa Clarita

So, after moving cross-country, the biking map continues. All the data for New York is in since I doubt I'll do any more biking there in 2012. And so I've started mapping Santa Clarita and maybe other parts of LA.

So far, lots of new thoughts in comparison between the two places. New York is on a grid, Santa Clarita is certainly not. The shapes are much more defined by the natural landscape as well as the incredibly not natural planning on shopping malls and parking lots. Unlike the (relatively) bike and pedestrian friendly City, it's a car dominated world out here, the complete antithesis of the east-coast walking city though there are some lovely dedicated bike paths that wend along (currently dry) aqueducts. People tend to drive their cars to the end of a path, then get out and bike the path out and back. Then more car. I'll see more when I get settled in but at the moment, I seem to be the only person using my bike to get around.

So yeah, here's what we've got after two days. This there is no coast line or rivers to delineate scale, what we've got here is about 30 miles of biking.


No comments: